Interior Design Technology Requirements
The Interior Design program uses industry specific software that runs on a PC platform. Please see below for computer specifications and purchase a PC based laptop for use in this program.
The minimum system requirements for this program:
PC with Intel i-Series processor, Xeon, or AMD equivalent. Highest affordable speed rating is recommended (currently Intel i7 is minimum) with Windows 10(64bit), or Windows 10 Pro (64bit) operating system
In this profession most software is PC based, thus you will be required to use a PC
or your MacBook Pro with a virtual machine (ex. Parallels) using Windows.
Windows based laptops will need at least the following requirements and are subject
to department approval.
- At least 16 gigabytes of RAM (16GB or more recommended)
- 1TB hard drive
- Intel Core i7 Processor or Higher
- Nvidia Passmark G3D score of 8664 or better, or DirectX 11 capable graphics card
- 1920x1080 True Color display (minimum)
- 3-button mouse with scrolling capabilities
- AutoCAD and Revit for Windows (Required for KCID 235 and KCID 425) (AutoCAD is free for students. Create an account here using your @ferris.edu email)
- CETDesigner (Required for KCID 350) You will be given access to this software for FREE the semester you are registered for this course.
- Microsoft Office Suite for Windows (This is free to students. Follow these online directions)
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Required for 300 level KCID Classes and 100 level KCDS classes)
- Windows 10 (64bit), or 10 Pro (64bit)
- SketchUp Pro (Required for KCID 250)
- At least a 1TB External Hard Drive or larger for backup and storage of files
Recommended for Protection and Security
- Laptop bag or cover for your computer
- Portable laptop lock