No problem is too big or too small.

It's not uncommon for college students to experience problems including stress, depression, grief, relationship problems, family problems, anxiety, drug use, or academic issues. Our on-site counselors provide free, confidential therapy to any KCAD student who seeks it.

Personal counseling is an opportunity for you to receive assistance with issues and concerns of any kind, including adjusting to college, family conflicts, parenting issues, feelings of depression and anxiety, interpersonal issues, self-esteem issues, substance abuse, domestic violence, and physical or sexual abuse - any issues that may be affecting your academic growth and personal development.

The Counseling Center provides confidential individual counseling, crisis intervention and referrals to campus services and outside mental health agencies. Services are free to all KCAD students and are provided by a Licensed Masters Social Worker or Licensed Professional Counselor who can listen to your concerns in a supportive, non-judgmental manner.

Students can also learn relaxation techniques to deal with life stressors and coping strategies to address such issues as procrastination or test anxiety.

Counseling is a free resource for KCAD students and we serve as a hub for mental health services both on and off campus, providing short-term individual therapy, therapeutic digital tools, and off-campus treatment referrals.

Remember, don’t try to handle a mental health emergency on your own, whether it’s yours or a friend’s. There are numerous 24/7 crisis resources available such as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, the Crisis Text Line, and the Steve Fund. In the Grand Rapids area, emergency mental health support is available through the Pine Rest Urgent Care/Contact Center or emergency services at Spectrum Health Locations.

Individual Counseling

Questions and answers to help you get started.

Crisis Intervention

Emergency access to resources outside of office hours.


Find pharmacies, health care providers, emergency services, support services, food and shelter resources.

Questions? Let Us Help