The Writing Center is Available to Assist You Virtually During the Fall 2020 Semester
This fall, the KCAD Writing Center will use mywconline to host appointments. Instead of coming in face-to-face with a student tutor, you will instead attach your paper to an open appointment on the schedule, a tutor will review your work and provide feedback with next steps, and then you’ll receive an email when the paper is complete! Then, you can apply revisions on your own and send us any follow-up questions. You can also make a follow up appointment.
How To Make An Appointment
- Go to ferris.mywconline.com
- If you haven't already, register for a new account (use your Ferris email).
- Log in and choose "KCAD Writing Center" as your schedule.
- Look over the schedule for an opening (if you find you're on the wrong schedule, simply select "KCAD Writing Center" from the drop-down menu at top right).
- Click the opening (empty box) you want to select.
- Fill out the form and attach your document.
- Your tutor will review your work during the time slot you've chosen. You will receive an email when the review is completed.
How to Make an Appointment
How to Revise and Review
- Once you receive an email that your paper review is complete, go back into the schedule.
- Click your appointment and download your reviewed draft from the bottom of the window.
- Once you download the draft, open the new version and review your tutor’s feedback (visible in Track Changes in Microsoft Word or Google Docs).
- Review the feedback and work to revise on your own.
- Email [email protected] with any questions.
- If you'd like additional feedback on your revisions, make another appointment!
How to Retrieve Your Reviewed Document
The Writing Center helps writers of all levels, at any stage of the writing process. We give writers the tools and strategies they need to become better writers, not just to “fix” one piece. In other words, we help the writer, not just the writing. Our goal is to give students and faculty the resources they need to write successfully.
Why visit the Writing Center?
- Have a writing assignment and need help getting started
- Need help finding good research sources
- Aren’t sure about your thesis
- Just need a good person with whom to discuss your project
- Have a draft written and need help with organization or editing
The Writing Center's peer tutors can help:
- Brainstorm ideas for an assignment
- Organize your ideas
- Revise your essay’s focus
- Make your essay more appropriate for its audience and purpose
- Edit and polish your draft
- Find good secondary research materials
- Use document sources appropriately
- Understand the conventions of MLA style
Frequently asked questions
Who works at the Writing Center?
We have a number of friendly KCAD students available as peer tutors. All peer tutors undergo routine training sessions to help them hone their skills and provide you with the best help possible.
Where is the Writing Center?
For the Fall 2020 semester, all Writing Center appointments will be conducted virtually.
Do I need an appointment?
Yes. Please schedule an appointment online.
What happens during a session?
You will attach a draft to your appointment form in mywconline. You’ll fill out some details about what you want to work on. After your tutor reads your paper, you will receive an email confirmation that your review is complete! This is a bit different than in-person tutoring. If you have additional questions, email us.
When should I schedule an appointment?
The earlier the better. Avoid delaying your visit until right before an assignment is due; that won’t allow you adequate time for real revision. You can reserve an appointment and attach your draft ahead of time in the system!
I don't have a draft. Can I still seek help from the Writing Center?
Will the peer tutor proofread my work for me?
Peer tutors won’t proofread for you, but they will help you spot errors and learn how to correct them on your own.
Writing Resources Online
The Writing Center is located in the:
17 Fountain St. NW building