2020 Graduates, our hearts go out to you.
We know that pixels on a screen can never do justice to the magnitude of this accomplishment, or replicate the feeling of experiencing this kind of event in-person.
But we refuse to let the circumstances stop us from celebrating our graduates and this momentous occasion as best as we possibly can, as it happens, until we have the opportunity to gather together.
So, here's what we're doing:
You've been connecting with us and submitting images (of you, and your amazing work!).
We're using those images and content from across the KCAD Community to recreate our annual commencement traditions in a pre-produced video that we'll stream live at 10:00am on Saturday, May 9—when the ceremony was originally scheduled.
Specifically, the ceremony will be streamed live at kcad.edu/commencement2020 and on the KCAD Facebook page, enabling graduates and their loved ones to tune in from anywhere in the world and connect with one another by posting celebratory images and notes of congratulations.
Expect to see:
- Greetings and remarks from President Tara McCrackin
- The annual Graduate Address, delivered by Andrew Dancer (Master of Architecture)
- A fond farewell to three retiring KCAD employees who have shaped our college and our community for the better
- The annual Valedictorian Address, delivered by Raime Cronkhite (Illustration)
- The Conferral of Degrees—our favorite part!—where we get to put each and every member of KCAD's 2020 Graduating Class in the spotlight.
- As your name is read, your headshot will appear on screen, transitioning into a full-screen feature of the image/video you submitted to represent your creative practice. When every graduate has been recognized, your degrees will be officially conferred, and you will be KCAD Alumni!
- Faculty Farewell, delivered by the inimitable Dr. Suzanne Eberle (if you've ever taken one of Dr. Eberle's classes, you'll know this is not to be missed)
Before and after the ceremony, we'll be celebrating some of the incredible work and memorable moments from the '19–20' academic year.
So as we all do our part to protect one another and continue to shelter-in-place, let's come together on May 9—if only in cyberspace—to take joy and pride in how far you've come, all you've achieved, and all the places you'll go from here.
An official invite with more details will be sent via email soon. We hope you'll join us!
Please review the following information and direct any questions to [email protected].
Graduates of the December 2019, May 2020, and August 2020 semesters are eligible to participate in the 2020 Commencement ceremony. In order to receive your diploma, the following requirements must be met:
- Submission of an Application for Degree
- Successful completion of all required courses
- No outstanding tuition, fines, unreturned books, etc.
- If applicable, Direct Loan Exit Counseling and/or Perkins Loan Exit Counseling must be completed on-line. DO NOT DISREGARD the communications you receive from the main campus regarding this information.
- Submission of a digital image or video, for those receiving BFA and MFA degrees
To be included in KCAD’s virtual Commencement ceremony on May 9, 2020, as well as in the online Undergraduate Senior Exhibition, 2020 graduation candidates need to submit the following items.
Please provide the following via email to [email protected] by no later than April 24:
- *Current Address (where you're sheltering in place)
- Personal Email Address
- Professional Website (if applicable)
- Intsagram handle (if applicable)
- Phonetic spelling of your name (for instance, if your name was "Idah Akoth", you would write "Eye-Da Ah-Kawth")
*Those graduates who submit this information will receive a KCAD Watch Box full of gifts and goodies to help you celebrate with family and friends.
Profile Picture or Headshot
For display alongside your work in our virtual Commencement ceremony. This can be a formal headshot or your favorite selfie—whatever works best for you and your situation!
Image/Video Representing Your Creative Work
As part of your graduation requirement, submit a digital image or video that is representative of your creative work. This image will become part of the college’s archive and will also be showcased during our virtual 2020 Commencement and online Annual Student Exhibition.
- Max. quality JPEG under 25mb
- Please provide the highest resolution file you have while still being under the 25mb limit
- Keep in mind that images with a lot of small detail or text may not work the best for this purpose.
- Duration: No longer than six seconds
- Format: MP4 preferred
- Dimensions: 1920 X1080
- Compression: h264
- Quality: Best
- Audio: Optional
Cap/Gown and Honor Cord
For graduates who placed an order that was being packed and shipped to KCAD, those orders were all canceled, and payments were refunded by Oak Hall. If you would like regalia, you will need to place another order for home ship.
If you ordered regalia previously and had it shipped to your home, but wish to return it please contact Denise Mondor at [email protected] for information on how to process this return and be reimbursed for return shipping.
Please DISREGARD any information regarding cap/gown and announcements from the main campus at Ferris in Big Rapids.
Honor cords, if applicable, will be available at a later date in time for our in-person Commencement ceremony for our 2020 candidates. Honor cords are given to graduates with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
NOTE: Caps and gowns will be available for order for those who choose to participate in an in-person Commencement ceremony at a later date.