In order to assist with your understanding of architectural education, career pathways and the profession of architecture, here are links that may prove helpful, in addition to those listed under the Links and Resources tab:
The KCAD MArch program was approved by the Ferris State University Board of Trustees in December 2013 for a Fall 2014 entering class. That first class graduated in the spring of 2016, and all of its members are employed in the profession of architecture.
In March 2015, the program was formally granted initial candidacy status by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), effective January 1, 2014. NAAB again visited KCAD in the fall of 2016 for Continuation of Candidacy. We anticipate that NAAB will make its Initial Accreditation Visit to the KCAD MArch in fall 2018. Pending a successful visit, the KCAD MArch will be granted accreditation effective retroactively to January 1, 2018. This is the fastest possible timeline for a new program to achieve accreditation. Have questions on this important topic? Feel welcome to contact [email protected] or explore the following documents:
Statement Regarding NAAB Accreditation
In the United States, most state registration boards require a degree from an accredited professional degree program as a prerequisite for licensure. The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), which is the sole agency authorized to accredit professional degree programs in architecture offered by institutions with U.S. regional accreditation, recognizes three types of degrees: the Bachelor of Architecture, the Master of Architecture, and the Doctor of Architecture. A program may be granted an eight-year, three-year, or two-year term of accreditation, depending on the extent of its conformance with established educational standards.
Doctor of Architecture and Master of Architecture degree programs may require a pre-professional undergraduate degree in architecture for admission. However, the pre-professional degree is not, by itself, recognized as an accredited degree.
The NAAB grants candidacy status to new programs that have developed viable plans for achieving initial accreditation. Candidacy status indicates that a program expects to achieve initial accreditation within six years of achieving candidacy, if its plan is properly implemented.
In order to meet the educational requirements set forth by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, an applicant for an NCARB Certificate must hold a professional degree in architecture from a program accredited by the NAAB; the degree must have been awarded not more than two years prior to initial accreditation. However, meeting the education requirement for the NCARB Certificate may not be equivalent to meeting the education requirement for registration in a specific jurisdiction. Please contact NCARB for more information.
The Master of Architecture Program of Kendall College of Art and Design of Ferris State University is in candidacy for accreditation for the following NAAB-accredited degree program:
MArch (Pre-Professional Degree plus 60-66 Graduate Credits or Non-Pre-Professional Degree plus 90-96 Graduate Credits).
Initial Candidacy granted: 2014
Continuation of Candidacy visit: 2016
Projected year of initial accreditation: 2018
- National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) Letter of Accreditation - Effective January 1, 2018 - PDF
- NAAB 2018 Visiting Team Report - PDF
- NAAB KCAD MArch Annual Program Report for Initial Accreditation (APR-IA) March 1, 2018 - PDF
- National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) Continuation of Candidacy Decision and 2016 Visiting Team Report – PDF
- National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) Candidacy Decision - PDF
- National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) Visiting Team Report (November 2014) - PDF
- Plan for Achieving Initial Accreditation from the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) - PDF
- Memorandum of December 10 NAAB Eligibility - PDF
- National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) KCAD MArch Annual Program Report for Continuation of Candidacy (APR) (April, 2016) – PDF
- National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) KCAD MArch Annual Program Report for Initial Candidacy (APR-IC) (April, 2014) - PDF
- Explanatory Note from the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NABB) Concerning the "Two-Year Rule" as promulgated by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) - PDF
- 2015 NAAB Procedures for Accreditation - PDF
- 2014 NAAB Conditions for Accreditation - PDF
- 2009 NAAB Conditions for Accreditation - PDF