Art History Student Resources
The following research databases are accessible via the KCAD Library:
- Art & Architecture Source (EBSCO)
- Biography In Context (Gale)
- WorldCat (OCLC)
Notable Museums the United States
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC - impressive collection of art from Egypt, the ancient Near East, Greece, Rome & beyond.
- Guggenheim Museum, NYC - collects, preserves, and interprets modern and contemporary art.
- Museum of Modern Art, NYC - art, architecture, and design images in the Museum of Modern Art collection.
- The J. Paul Getty Museum, Malibu, CA - “The Villa” section of the museum is a reconstruction of an ancient Roman villa from Herculaneum. Holds a nice collection of antiquities.
- National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C. - features more than 150,000 paintings, sculpture, decorative arts, photographs, prints, and drawings spans the history of Western art
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington D.C. - home to one of the largest and most inclusive collections of American art in the world.
- National Museum of African Art, Washington D.C. - only national museum in the US focused on the collection, exhibition, conservation, and study of the arts of Africa.
- National Museum of African American History and Culture, Washington D.C. - only national museum focused entirely on documenting African American life, history, and culture.
- National Museum of Asian Art, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Washington D.C. - over 40,000 objects dating from the Neolithic period to today and spanning the ancient Near East to China, Japan, Korea, South and Southeast Asia, and the Islamic world.
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art - the largest art museum in the western United States, with a collection of more than 147,000 objects.
- Philadelphia Museum of Art - collection comprises eight curatorial departments: American Art; Contemporary Art; Costume & Textiles; East Asian Art; European Decorative Arts and Sculpture; European Painting; Prints, Drawings & Photographs; and South Asian Art.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston - another very good collection of Egyptian, Near Eastern, Greek & Roman art.
- The Brooklyn Museum, NYC - After the Met, the best collection of Egyptian art in the United States.
Notable Museums Outside the United States
- The Louvre, Paris - home of the “Venus de Milo,” “Winged Victory,” and many other works of art, both ancient and modern.
- The Hermitage, St. Petersburg, Russia - a handsome collection in a beautiful building.
- The British Museum, London - renowned for its collection of ancient art, including the majority of the sculpture from the Parthenon.
- The Vatican Museums, Rome - not just for the Sistine Chapel, enormous collection of Greek, Etruscan, and Roman art.
- Tate, Britain - British art from 1500 to the present day and nearly 70,000 international modern and contemporary artworks
- The National Gallery, London - massive collection covering 700 years of painting.
- Art Project (powered by Google) - explores museums from around the world. You can view hundreds of artworks at incredible zoom levels, and even create adn share your own collection of masterpieces.
Notable Design-Focused Museums
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London - works from the Victoria and Albert Museum.
- Cooper Hewitt, Washington D.C. - expansive collection covering over 30 centuries of design from all around the world.
- Les Arts Decoratifs, Paris - Les Arts Décoratifs is a private organization governed by the law of 1901 on not-for-profit associations and recognized as being in the public interest. It originated in 1882, in the wake of the Universal Exhibitions, when a group of collectors banded together with the idea of promoting the applied arts and developing links between industry and culture, design and production.
- Design Museum, London - discover information about designers, architects, and more through the design library at the Design Museum in London.
Museums Within Driving Distance of KCAD
- Grand Rapids Art Museum
- Grand Rapids Public Museum
- Grand Rapids African American Museum
- Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabillia, Big Rapids
- Kalamazoo Institute of Arts
- University of Michigan Museum of Art
- Detroit Institute of Arts
- Cranbrook Art Museum
- Cleveland Museum of Art
- Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
- The Art Institute of Chicago
- Museum of the Oriental Institute, Chicago
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis
- American Alliance of Museums
- American Association of Museums
- American Institute for Conservation
- College Art Association
- Midwest Art History Society