Interior Design Technology Requirements
We recommend purchasing a PC laptop from a local vendor or online, but if you prefer to use an Apple computer, you can purchase your laptop online from the KCAD Apple Store . Be aware that you are not limited to these requirements and a larger or more powerful laptop will work as well.
The minimum system requirements for this program:
- 13" or larger MacBook Pro*
- Additional Applecare Coverage
*Students need to partition the hard drive, so will need to use Boot Camp which is included with a new Mac computer. They will also need to purchase Windows 7 or 10. Departmental recommendation is to put at least 75% of the memory on the PC side of the computer. This should be completed BEFORE you start using the computer in class.
- PC equivalent with single - or MultiCore Intel, Xeon, or i-Series processor or AMD equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable speed rating is recommended (currently Intel i-7 is minimum) with Windows 10(64bit), or Windows 10 Pro (64bit) operating system
In this profession most software is PC based, thus you will be required to use a PC
or your MacBook Pro on the Windows side.
Windows based laptops will need at least the following requirements* and are subject to department approval.
*A laptop waiver form must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office, which may change your financial aid package. Please pick up a blank form in the Student Services Office and bring it, and your laptop to the Program Chairperson.
- At least 8 gigabytes of RAM (16GB or more recommended)
- At least 30GB of free hard drive space
- Intel Core i7 Processor or Higher
- Nvidia Passmark G3D score of 8664 or better, or DirectX 11 capable graphics card
- 1920x1080 True Color display (minimum)
- 3-button mouse with scrolling capabilities
- AutoCAD and Revit for Windows (Required for KCID 235 and KCID 425) (AutoCAD is free for students. Create an account here using your @ferris.edu email)
- CETDesigner (Required for KCID 350) You will be given access to this software for FREE the semester you are registered for this course.
- Microsoft Office Suite for Windows (This is free to students. Follow these online directions)
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Required for 300 level KCID Classes and 100 level KCDS classes)
- Windows 10 (64bit), or 10 Pro (64bit)
- SketchUp Pro (Required for KCID 250)
- At least a 1TB External Hard Drive or larger for backup and storage of files
Recommended for Protection and Security
- Laptop bag or cover for your computer
- Portable laptop lock