We recommend purchasing a PC laptop from a local vendor or online, but if you prefer to use an Apple computer, you can purchase your laptop online from the KCAD Apple Store . Be aware that you are not limited to these requirements and a larger or more powerful laptop will work as well.
The minimum system requirements for this program:
- 13" or larger MacBook Pro
- Additional Applecare Coverage
- PC equivalent with single - or MultiCore Intel, Xeon, or i-Series processor or AMD equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable speed rating is recommended (currently Intel i-7 is minimum) with Windows 10(64bit), or Windows 10 Pro (64bit) operating system
- In this profession most software is PC based, thus you will be required to use a PC or your MacBook Pro on the Windows side.
*Student need to partition the hard drive, so will need to use Boot Camp which is included with a new Mac computer. They will also need to purchase Windows 7 or 10. Departmental recommendation is to put at least 75% of the memory on the PC side of the computer. This should be completed BEFORE you start using the computer in class.
Windows based laptops will need at least the following requirements and are subject to department approval.
*A laptop waiver form must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office, which may change your financial aid package. Please pick up a blank form in the Student Services Office and bring it, and your laptop to the Program Chairperson.
- At least 8 gigabytes of RAM (16GB or more recommended)
- At least 30GB of free hard drive space
- Intel Core i7 Processor or Higher
- Nvidia Passmark G3D score of 8664 or better, or DirectX 11 capable graphics card
- 1920x1080 True Color display (minimum)
- 3-button mouse with scrolling capabilities
- AutoCAD and Revit for Windows (Required for KCID 235 and KCID 425) (AutoCAD is free for students. Create an account here using your @ferris.edu email)
- CETDesigner (Required for KCID 350) You will be given access to this software for FREE the semester you are registered for this course.
- Microsoft Office Suite for Windows (This is free to students. Follow the directions found here)
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Required for 300 level KCID Classes and 100 level KCDS classes)
- Windows 10 (64bit), or 10 Pro (64bit)
- SketchUp Pro (Required for KCID 250)
- At least a 1TB External Hard Drive or larger for backup and storage of files
Recommended for Protection and Security
- Laptop bag or cover for your computer
- Portable laptop lock