Programs and Resources
The following programs and resources are available to foster a safe and secure environment, both on the KCAD campus and in the surrounding areas of Grand Rapids. Learn more about specific programs and resources by following the links in the index below:
The following safety and security measures are currently being implemented on the KCAD campus:
- 24-hour response to building alarms
- Regular patrols of all interior floors and exterior of campus buildings by uniformed campus security staff
- Security cameras with recorded feeds
- Uniformed campus security staff stationed in reception areas
KCAD utilizes the services of DK Security, a company with extensive experience serving higher education institutions in Michigan. All uniformed security staff carry radios and have been trained in the college's emergency response protocol.
If a student encounters an emergency of any type or degree on campus, they should call 911 first. Then, they should notify the security personnel of the building where the emergency is occurring:
The purpose of the Behavioral Review Team (BRT) is to provide a forum for faculty, staff and students who want to report concerning behavior of any person within the KCAD community who exhibits signs of distress or behavior that could result in harm to self or others. The BRT works in an advisory capacity to review situations and recommend actions in accordance with existing University policies.
Report a Person of Concern (Do not use this form for emergencies)
It is the responsibility of faculty, staff and students to immediately report any situation that could possibly result in harm. Anyone may seek input and advice from the BRT, especially if they are dealing with students whose behaviors are negatively impacting the learning environment. If you are unsure if a situation warrants a referral to the BRT, make the referral. The BRT will assess the situation and determine recommendations if needed.
The BRT typically is called together when faculty or staff and their supervisors identify situations where they would like additional resources to help them deal with a disturbed or distressed student or employee.
The Behavioral Review Team will:
- Receive, review and document information regarding behavior of individuals within KCAD's community.
- Perform initial review of risk and refer cases to appropriate offices and officials as needed.
- Seek clarification from or make referrals to Security Personnel, Human Resources, General Counsel's Office, Student Conduct, Counseling, the Dean of the College or others deemed necessary.
- Coordinate support services among offices involved.
- Maintain effective communication among those involved.
- Offer strategies and possible action plans to those involved in an attempt to offer appropriate assistance.
- Engage in appropriate follow up.
KCAD has established an early alert system to help identify students who may need contact from a staff member. Send an alert to [email protected].
- In the alert, share the behaviors witnessed and summarize conversations with the student.
- If course work is affected, discuss your expectations with the student for moving forward in the class regarding behavior, attendance and coursework deadlines.
- The email is shared with staff from a variety of departments who review the information and provide suggestions/assistance for the student.
- It is helpful to have a one-on-one meeting with the student focusing on the behaviors you have noticed.
- Provide referrals to the Counseling Center, Learning Labs, and/or Disability Services prior to sending the email.
- If behavior remains unchanged or additional assistance is needed, contact the early alert system.
- Alerts will be answered as soon as possible, but should not be used for emergencies. Responses can be expected in a timely manner on Mon-Fri from 8am 5pm, excluding holidays or campus closures.
- Examples of concerns: financial, behavioral, attendance, course performance, food,
housing, inability to obtain supplies.
For students, faculty, and staff who choose to park in the City of Grand Rapids lots, city Protective Service Officers are available to help you jump start a battery, get keys out of a locked car, change a flat tire, or assist with most any car-related problem you could run into downtown.
Call 616.456.4495 to request assistance.
Downtown Grand Rapids Inc.'s Downtown Ambassadors team is comprised of local citizens who act as friendly and accessible concierges on the street. Attired in distinct teal and blue uniforms, Downtown Ambassadors offer walking escorts, help with directions, connections to social services, and information about local businesses and restaurants, all while keeping an eye out for criminal activity and streetscape repair issues.
Ambassadors and unarmed and operate on foot, bicycle, and Segway in the downtown district
seven days a week, 360+ days a year, generally between the hours of 7 a.m. and 3 a.m.
For assistance call 616.250.8263 to reach the Ambassador on duty.
Accessed through a voluntary enrollment process, official emergency text alerts from KCAD allow students, faculty, and staff to be the first to know about time-sensitive campus safety issues and campus closings due to inclement weather or other disruptions.
If you do not have a cell phone or the ability to receive text messages on your cell
phone, you can find out about emergencies on the KCAD website, MyFSU message channel,
ferris.edu email account or KCAD social media (Facebook and Twitter), or posted to
electronic digital displays on campus.
First Aid Kits
Mobile first aid kits can be found on campus in the following locations*:
17 Fountain St. NW building
- Wood shop (Basement)
Facilities (1st floor) Administration Area (Reception/1st floor) Library (2nd floor) Activities and Resources Center (7th floor)
Woodbridge N. Ferris Building
- Main lobby desk
- shopUICA (1st floor)
- Fashion Studies Lab (3rd floor)
*Small mobile kits are available in designated areas on each floor of both buildings for minor needs.
Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs)
Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) can be found on campus in the following locations**:
17 Fountain St. NW building
- 1st floor, near the Fountain St. entrance
- 4th floor, outside room 420
- 7th floor, near Student Services area
Woodbridge N. Ferris Building
- 1st floor outside of Sculpture Lab
- 3rd floor corridor, near the emergency stairwell and copy room
**Anytime an AED is utilized, please contact the building security guard immediately.
GRPD headquarters are located just two blocks south of the KCAD campus.
- GRPD emergency number: 911
- GRPD non-emergency number: 616.456.3400
The KCAD library, located on the 2nd Floor of the 17 Fountain St. NW building, has
a Lost and Found area for items left anywhere on campus. Please retrieve lost items
during regular library hours.
Emergency Contact Info
In the event of an emergency, call 911. Then, notify the security personnel for the building where the emergency is taking place.
Contact KCAD Security
17 Fountain St. NW building: 616.430.1794
Woodbridge N. Ferris Building: 616.350.3820